Friday, June 25, 2010

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

This morning I had a site visit scheduled in Elmina at 8:30, so when everyone left for the office I hung around the house because it made more sense for me to leave from the house. I was supposed to meet Hawa at the “Flower Guild Junction in Elmina”.

When you are catching a taxi here there are special signs you have to do so they know which way you are going. I asked Maria which way I should point to get a taxi to Flower Guild Junction, and she didn’t know so she told me to ask Ellen, the women who takes care of the house. So I did, and she said “no flower guild junction, coconut guild junction”. Then she told me which way to point and that I would have to stand on the opposite side of the street then I do when going to work.

I flag down a driver and told him coconut guild, because it’s a share taxi and people are getting in and out along the way it took about 15 min to get through Elmina, but I keep seeing signs for Coconut Grove and figured that everyone probably said grove I just couldn’t understand them because of their accent. As we get closer I realize that Coconut Grove is a golf course and I'm probably not in the right place. The driver tried to drop me off at the golf course, but I politely tell him I need to be at the junction. He told me there are four junctions and he wasn’t sure which one, so I tell him to take me to the closest one. I pay him and get out of the car.

As I'm standing on the corner looking lost and confused as usual, with Hawa nowhere in sight, I decided to BBM Sarah. She told me that it is Flower Guild. So, I found a woman who looked nice and asked her if she knew of a Flower Guild in Elmina. She said no, it is in Cape Coast. I told Sarah and she got everything figured out. Apparently someone was wrong when they said Elmina in the first place and I should have been heading towards Cape Coast.

I finally caught a taxi back towards the house, but no one would take me all the way there because it was out of the way so I ended up walking for about an hour just to get back to where I started so I could catch a different taxi toward Cape Coast.

I finally figured out where I was going and found Hawa. We went back to her place to batik. She really wanted me to learn Fanti so she taught me a couple of things on the walk, which sure enough I have already forgotten.

When we got to her place she told me that since she is pregnant there is a man who works with her cause she cant lift heavy things right now. The man's name was Sam, and he actually ended up doing everything. He was really nice and very interested in the U.S. I’m pretty sure he wanted me to sponsor him to come visit, but I just kept pretending I didn’t know what was going on.

After my site visit I got a taxi back to the house and worked on patterns for soft ornaments. I made a chicken with crazy hair. I’m excited to get it sampled I think it will be really cute.

After work we went to the bar across the street to watch the Ghana vs. Germany football game. It was so cute how excited everyone was even though Ghana lost. They were just happy they got to move on to the next round. Ghana plays the U.S. on Saturday. I’m pretty pumped it should be a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment