Friday, June 4, 2010

Thursday, June 3, 2010

This morning when we got to work I started sketching some ideas for children’s stamps. I have a couple ideas that I think will turn out really cute and I cant want to turn them into samples. I also sketched some geometric shaped designs for the men’s collection. Its harder for me to visualize what those ones will look like when they are printed on fabric so it will be interesting to see how they end up.

While we were sketching some ideas the power went out so Maria brought us a ton of garments that needed to be folded and bagged. I will be really happy once this order is shipped and we wont have to fold and bag for a while. We folded for a while until the power came back on. Then we spent some more time sketching.

We haven’t been actually taking a lunch break. Usually we just bring food from the house and eat it through out the day so we never actually get a break. By the end of the day we are all really on edge from sitting in the same chair. Its funny because the last couple of hours of work everyone gets a little loopy. We decided it would probably be beneficial to everyone if we started taking lunches.

After lunch we sat in on a meeting two other interns were holding with the batikers and seamstresses. We ended up having to leave early because we went to finish the batking we started last week. Auntie Gina is also the head mistress at a senior high school so we met her at her school and she showed us around.

The schools hear are almost oddly familiar. The smelled reminded me a lot of the school my mom works at. The papers and report cards were similar to the ones I got in elementary school. The school was made of many different buildings though which is different then most schools in the U.S. They had a separate building for the dinning commons and different grades had their own buildings. Some students live on the campus so they have a girls and boys dormitory. The head master also lives on the campus and has a bungalow.

After visiting the school we went back to Auntie Gina’s house to finish batiking. I finished mine last week so I did a lot of waiting. Ghana will surely teach me patience. People here do little work and a lot of sitting around. I’m not so good at that. Its like they start a project and then get distracted and started something else. While we were their Auntie Gina would get up and disappear for like an hour at a time.

When we finished batiking we went home. Instead of eating at Eli’s we went across the street two this stand were this guy grills up sausage with peanut sauce. They were delicious. I would describe last night as the perfect African evening. We all ate sausage, drank beers, and listened to the ocean. It was so peaceful and perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment