Friday, June 11, 2010

Thursday, June 10, 2010

At work we are at a place where we can kind of all work on what ever we want because were in a transition phase. Mostly we’re just waiting for the go ahead from Renee and Kristin regarding our ne ideas. We got feedback from them via email this morning and they both seem really excited about our ideas. They said they see a lot of potential. I’m so excited! I was a little nervous as to what they would say because everything is a lot different than their previous products.

After getting some positive feedback I drew a couple silhouette flats in illustrator and then I came up with some more stamp ideas. After we already came up with our ideas for stamps Kristin emailed Sarah and asked us to make some stamps using their traditional symbols as inspiration. I made a really cute stamp out of one of the symbols. I just changed it slightly, so instead of just being a design it looks like it says, “love”.

After working on stamps Hilary, one of the new designers, and I worked on the specs. It’s so frustrating because nothing makes sense here. No two garments, even if they are the exact same size, have the same measurement. Then we tried measuring the patterns. This is obviously where the root of the problem is. They have no original copy of pattern, so it changes every time.

While we were working on measuring the patterns Maria came to let us know that some garments came from the seamstress and almost every single one was rejected because there were holes in the garment where the seamstress ripped the stitching out. We went on a site visit to see her and figure out what is going on. This was my first site visit. It was cool to see where the women work. This woman lived in an apartment building and worked on her balcony. It was hard to communicate the problem with her, but we came to the solution that her needle was too large and she needed a new one. I felt so bad because she was almost in tears by the time we left.

We went to the market with her to buy a smaller needle and a seam ripper. It was really cool to see where people buy their sewing supplies.

After the site visit we went to grab some groceries for the weekend. I just got the usual, some noodles, some cheese, some bread and butter. Ya know, nothing too crazy. I’m a little paranoid about food now considering I’ve been sick half the time I’ve been here.

After we got back from the market Hilary and I went back to measuring the pattern pieces of different garments. There is no room in the office now that there are so many people in the here so we went back to the house a little early and finished measuring the patterns their.

After work, Nick, Ellen, and I went on a walk to downtown Elmina. It was my first time walking down that way. I really liked it the town it is so cute and reminds me of something that would be in a movie. Its way more chill then Cape Coast. On the other hand, people there are not as used to seeing white people as the people in Cape Coast so they holler at us a lot.

Over all, a pretty successful day.. and tomorrow- THE BEACH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment