Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

We are still working on our designs for the presentation we’re sending on Friday, and still waiting on specific feed back from the original design ideas we sent in. I feel like we are kind of in limbo and there is not much to do right now. It’s almost annoying, but that’s Ghana. I wonder if I will ever get used to doing nothing. I thought I would adapt to that pretty easily because id like to think I'm pretty laid back, but it way harder then I thought.

We are hosting a measuring workshop tomorrow with quality control. This should hopefully clear up any misunderstandings they have about proper measuring procedure. We met as a group and went over what were would go over during the workshop. Once quality control has measuring down there shouldn’t be any more inconsistencies between the garments. If the workshop goes well we plan to have one with the seamstresses as well. This way if something isn’t up to standards they will know and fix it, or if it can’t be fixed they won’t waste time finishing the garment.

It is important to help the women have a better understanding that by accepting items that are not up to standards it makes Global Mamas seem less creditable and in turn less people will order from them. They have a hard time grasping this concept. They think the more garments they pass the better.

For lunch we discovered a women right across the street that sells a good size bag of rice and red sauce. It was deliciously spicy. After eating I went on a walk with Ellen and nick looking for a Ghana football jersey. I needed to get some Ghana gear for the next match on Saturday. I ended up finding a yellow jersey with shorts for 10 cedi. This was pretty much the first souvenir I bought for myself.

After lunch I worked on the kids softies. I started drafting some patterns and using scraps to make them. I think these will be so cute. It’s just hard because we don’t really have access to a sewing machine.

Judy, the women who lives next door to the volunteer house, recently lost her husband. He got sick suddenly and passed away a few days later, it was his funeral we went one of the first weeks we were here. Since she is Muslim she cannot leave her house for 3 months because it is a mourning period. She has two young kids and gets really lonely. She also has a batik station and a sewing machine she said we could use. I think a few of us are going to try and go over there tomorrow to keep her company and also experiment with batiking and patterns.

On the way home today I was walking and tripped off a rock. I cut my foot, thank God for the first aid kit my dad gave me!




The thing from home I'm missing most today:


No comments:

Post a Comment