Thursday, June 17, 2010

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Today we were suppose to have the measuring workshop with quality control, however, we decided to postpone it indefinitely. After we all measured the garments and came up with different measurements we decided the measurements on the spec sheets they have are “off” intentionally. After measuring the garments it is clear that it would be impossible for them to get the correct measurement without bending or stretching the fabric. We did not feel like it is our place to totally change their entire process.

There is also a thing here they refer to as “small boy syndrome”. Basically they believe that if you are older you are wiser, educational background doesn’t matter at all. So, we pretty much don’t stand a chance when it comes to giving them advice or other ways to do things. They don’t think we have a clue what were talking about and will forever think their way is better.

After deciding to postpone the workshop we sent an email to Alice trying to figure out what to do. Alice and Emi were the two designers that were most recently in Cape Coast, so she knows why things here are the way they are. They may not make sense to us, but more often then not they were probably done on purpose. Maybe they found it works better with the culture here and the way Ghanaians think.

Around noon I went on an errand through Cape Coast to buy the raw materials for batiking. Their crazies how long simple tasks like this take here. We had to go to 3 different shops in order to get all the materials we need. There is no such thing as a one-stop shop. It definitely makes me appreciate the convenience of things in the states. It took 2 hours just to find the materials.

After buying materials Nick, Ellen, Sarah and I headed home so we could go to Judy’s and experiment new ideas for batik. Unfortunately on the way home it started down pouring. IT was raining the hardest I've ever seen here. Clearly we cant batik in the rain. I ended up just carving my stamps so they are ready for tomorrow.

I cut my finger with the pocketknife I was using to carve my stamp. Thank goodness for the first aid kit my dad sent me with! I’ve used it twice in two days, but I’m sure that’s not surprising to anyone. I’ve always been pretty accident-prone. We joke all the time about how Ellen or I will be the one who falls in the open sewers.

For dinner today we had a potluck! It was amazing. The four of us all made something different to eat and then we shared. Nick made stew with potatoes and okra, Ellen made Thai rice with peanut butter and curry, Sarah made plantain chips, and I made cheese sandwiches. We decided were going to do this a lot for dinner or we will all throw in 2 cedis and see what we can make.


Thing from home I miss the most:




No comments:

Post a Comment