Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Monday, June 21, 2010

Today the new Eminem album came out, so I got up early to go to the hotel and download it. I’m pretty much the happiest person ever. I remember when I found out I would be here when the new album is be released I was bummed I wouldn’t be able to get it until I got back to the states.

Our other friends who went on a trip this weekend didn’t make it back last night because a bridge was flooded pretty badly (I guess two people died trying to cross it) and they couldn’t make it. Honestly, I was pretty happy when I found out they wouldn’t be coming back because then we wouldn’t be cramped in the little design room. I got to work in the main office with air conditioning. It was super nice.

When I first got to work we finished cutting out all the stencils that we didn’t get to on Friday. I was pretty happy that I didn’t cut myself today, looks like my bad luck is gone. After cutting the stencils we had to trace them onto plain paper to show the layout so that when we give them to batikers they know how we want them placed on the fabric. It was kind of funny because we had to color the stencil with the color we wanted them to dye the fabric, but the only supplies we had were crayons. If we had a 64-count set of crayols it may have been a different story, but we had a few colors of poor quality crayons. In order to make different colors we had to try to mix the crayons together. It will be really interesting to see how the batikers interpret our coloring job, hopefully at the end of the day we will all be on the same page color wise. I have to admit, coloring with crayons took me back to being a kid and I was secretly enjoying myself.

I got to skype with Mark for a few minutes while I was coloring. He was getting ready for work. Its funny how when I’m at lunch everyone is just getting up, and when I’m going to bed everyone is just getting out of work.

For lunch I wanted to get rice from the lady across the street, but she wasn’t there today, so I wandered down the street a little ways and found someone else who had rice. Even though its just rice, I still get a little nervous every time I try something new because I’ve had such bad luck with food-So far so good though.

After lunch, I worked on pulling images from the Internet for the presentation we are presenting on Wednesday. It is always really frustrating when we have to do anything regarding the Internet. It’s so slow, and everything takes so long to load. I feel like I'm spending more time sitting and waiting for pages to load then actually doing work.

We also started taking pictures of some of the sampled new products that have already been made to send to Renee. It’s weird because ultimately they have the final say in things and they only have photos to look at. I think the colors don’t turn out so well on a computer screen as they do in real life.

I also made copies of the new Eminem CD for my new friends in Ghana. It was so cute how excited they were. I was excited too because I’m clearly obsessed and I love it that they love Eminem too.

After work we went to the house. I made the worlds best Mac N Cheese for dinner. I have now perfected it and I’m pretty sure I will make it even when I’m back in the states and velveta is available.

We also started watching the first season of Gossip Girl. I never thought I would be into that show because its pretty much the definition of trash television, but I have to admit I’m secretly hooked… or not so secretly anymore.

While we were enjoying our second episode of Gossip Girl for the evening, the others returned home from their weekend trip. They have quite a story to tell. Apparently it rained a lot in the east and two bridges were flooded. Two other people had died while trying to cross one of the bridges because their car got swept away by the current and they were stuck inside. When they got to the first bridge and it was flooded they turned back and stayed in Accra for the night, but then yesterday while driving they came across another flooded bridge and the tro drivers forced them to cross it. I guess water was pouring in the tro and people were behind pushing them across. One of the Ghanaians was leading them in a group prayer as they Then when they made it across everyone started chanting, “You cheated death! You cheated death!”

Pretty crazy story, I’m very thankful everyone is ok.

Thing from home I'm missing most:

1 comment:

  1. When you get home I'm going to show you how to make real mac&cheese using REAL cheese, sharp cheddar etc....

    Love Ya

    ReplyDelete