Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Tuesday, June 6, 2010

I woke up this morning and made rice for breakfast. It was my first time ever cooking rice and I have decided it’s much harder then it looks. It ended up taking forever and didn’t even taste good. I was pretty bummed at my failed attempt to make a delicious breakfast.

I worked from the house today. I worked on drawing flats of the animal softies. I finished the giraffe and worked on the lion rhino and elephant. I also worked on flats of the other garments that are going to be sampled. The romper we sampled came back and the seamstress was really confused on how to sew it because they don’t know how to read patterns. We’re going to try and have flats and typed instructions to send out with each garment from now on.

We took the afternoon off work to go to a Festival in Elmina. The festival was in celebration of the river that runs through Elmina. It was a really cool experience. There was a parade where they carry all the chiefs around on chairs down the street. Everyone was singing and dancing. Then we went down to the boat races. There were so many people you couldn’t really see anything. A Ghanaian man saw me in the back and offered me his spot standing on a bench. I went from not being able to see at all to pretty much having a front row seat. I feel like that would never happen in the states.

After the festival Ellen, Nick and I went to a restaurant that served African and Cuban cuisine. It was really good. I got chicken and vegetable stew with rice. That’s probably the second time i've eaten meat since I’ve been here. We also ordered a glass of wine with dinner, and they just gave us the whole bottle.

After dinner we walked back to the house. Everyone was blaring music it was crazy how many people were out and about celebrating. Apparently the festival lasts all week. I wonder if they will be playing music so loudly every night. Thank goodness for the huge fan in my room that is so loud it over powers ALL other noises or I wouldn’t have gotten any sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment