Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Monday, May 24, 2010

Today was the first day our new friends came to the office. They went on a tour like we did our first day. I decided to go on the tour again so that hopefully this time I would remember how to get places. George is such a good tour guide, and the tour was even better the second time. I am getting better at understanding the Ghanaian accent and now I know George better so I understand his since of humor and when he would make jokes sometimes I would get it.

When Ghanaians speak English they have a really funny way of phrasing things. For example, instead of saying, “is something wrong?” They say “You are ok?” and instead of saying, “wait a little bit”, they say, “wait small small”. Sometimes that makes it more difficult to understand them too, but now that im getting used to it its getting easier.

While we were on our tour we stopped to exchange money, I exchanged the rest of my American money in to Ghanaian money. This probably wont surprise anyone, because it is such a “Katie” thing to do, but after we were leaving the money exchange I reached in my bag and couldn’t my wallet with all money I had just exchanged in it. I was convinced it either fell out along the way somewhere or someone took it. After nearly having a heart attack and further inspection I found my wallet in the little zipper part of my bag, Thank goodness!

We got back from our tour just in time for lunch. I had Red Red for lunch. Red Red is a traditional Ghanaian dish made of beans. Eli makes it and we had it for dinner one night so I knew I would like it. I took it back to the office and we all ate lunch. Others had gotten goat rice and meat at the market while we were on the tour. I thought I would be totally safe eating beans, but little did I know it would make a mean come back later.

For the rest of the after noon we worked on re-patterning the Meredith dress. The neckline doesn’t fit right because it is too wide so it slides of the shoulders. Now that there are three more designers here it seems that everything is taking a lot more time because everyone has a different way of doing things and its hard to decide on things. Although today we probably worked at the pace Maria expects us to work at (before she was always so surprised we got things done so quickly) it is very frustrating. I think in the future it will be much more efficient if we split up into teams of two and all work on different things.

About mid afternoon, the Red Red decided to have its revenge. I started feeling sick and I knew this couldn’t be good. I ended up throwing up three times and the office and twice out of the taxi window on the way home. It is never fun being sick and even less fun when its super hot and there is no power. Ekaita made me a bed on the balcony so I laid out their for most of the evening where there was a breeze. Finally around 10pm, just in time for bed, I was starting to feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment