Thursday, May 27, 2010

Everybody Wants to Know a Vomiting Obruni

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

This morning for breakfast I made a grilled cheese sandwich. We have a gas stove in the house that you have to light with a match. It makes me nervous, knowing my luck I would be the one to burn the house down. I haven’t really figured out how to control the heat yet either so it got a little burnt, but I ate it anyways and it was nice to have something familiar. My stomach is still not really feeling adventurous about food.

We have pretty much got a system down about getting to work. Usually we have to wait for everyone to leave the house, and then wait for everyone to get a taxi. Today as soon as there was a group of four ready we just left. It worked way better. I hate waiting around for people.

When we got to work we started working on the Meredith dress. I suggested that it would be more efficient if we split up so we weren’t all working on the same thing. So, while Carla and Ellen worked on the dress pattern Nick and I worked on creating a layout of the kids ruffle dress. Afterwards, we looked at a spreadsheet from Renee about which items they would be dropping for the 2011 catalog. We also looked over the new items they want us to design for the new catalog. I will be concentrating on Mens Wear and Childrens Wear. It looks like we have a lot of work ahead of us. I’m excited.

Alice also emailed us back about the kids hoodie pattern we made corrections to last week. She agreed that the sleeves are too long and they needed to be shortened. The pattern design book we have here says sleeves for kids 2-4 should be 15in from shoulder to wrist, which is what we did, but it is sort of out dated. Alice said she has a newer book that says sleeves should be only 13in so I shortened the sleeves 2in on both sizes.

We spent a lot of the afternoon trend forecasting. We looked through magazines and on the Internet for different inspirations and ideas. The power went out for a little bit because there was a big storm, but it didn’t stay off long, which was nice because my computer battery was almost dead.

After trend forecasting we took a quick look ahead at what we will be doing over the next couple weeks. Tomorrow we are taking a batik workshop where we will get a better understanding of the laborious dying process. We also get to batik our own fabric. So, after trend forecasting we spent the rest of the afternoon at the office brainstorming and sketching stamp ideas.

When we were catching a cab back to Elmina after work we ran into the driver whose taxi I threw up in on Monday. How embarrassing. It’s one thing to get sick around someone you will never see again and totally different when you’re going to run into them all the time and you’re now labeled puke face. But he had a good sense of humor and we laughed about it. Then he dropped us off and asked how he could see me again. I laughed and told him I’m sure I’d see him around, but seriously, who would want to hang out with a vomiting obruni?

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    That is so cool that you are going to be doing Batik. I just love Batik material. It is so labor intensive but very beautiful. Is there a web address for the catalog of the things made that are available for purchase? Can't wait to see pictures.
    Love Ya,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete